The Walnut Street Bridge

0
332

Built in 1890, the 2,376 feet (724┬ám) Walnut Street Bridge was the first to connect Chattanooga, Tennessee‘s downtown with the North Shore. According to a plaque on the bridge, Edwin Thacher was the chief engineer for the bridge. The bridge’s superstructure was assembled by the Smith Bridge Company of Toledo, Ohio, which was a prolific late 19th-century bridge builder. The bridge’s substructure was constructed by Neeley, Smith, and Company of Chattanooga. Most of the parts for the bridge were manufactured by Manly Jail Works of Dalton, Georgia and then shipped to the site by rail. The bridge’s main spans are pin-connected Pennsylvania through truss spans. The top chord of these truss spans are configured in five sections, making the spans similar to the Camelback truss design. The bridge is historically significant as an extremely long and old example of its type; according to the Historic American Engineering Record: “The bridge was apparently the first non-military highway bridge across the Tennessee River.”



LEAVE A REPLY